If you experienced a separation or divorce this year, the holiday season likely serves as a reminder of your loss, leaving you sad and possibly depressed. In addition to engaging a mental health professional who can help you create some coping skills through this hard and difficult time in your life, here are some ideas to make sure that you are taking care of your own well-being during this time of year:
- Unplug for a day: Set your cell phone to airplane mode, unplug your Amazon Echo, and stow away your laptop. Spend an entire day unplugged from social media and technology, and instead enjoy a book, write a letter, cook a favorite dish, take a warm bath, and/or go for a walk on a local park trail.
- Day Spa: Visit a local day spa for a little rejuvenation.
- Fitness Routine: There are so many fitness options out now- Crossfit, Orange Theory, Bootcamp, Yoga, Pilates, etc. Try a week or a month at a local gym to help boost your serotonin and kick off a healthy lifestyle.
- Volunteer: Volunteer at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen, animal shelter, food pantry, faith community center, environmental center, hospital, your children’s school, or with any organization that interests you. There is nothing more rewarding than helping others!
- Organize your home: Go through each room in your home, organize, and shed items you no longer use or need! If you haven’t worn a piece of clothing in 3 years, donate it to a local shelter, school, faith community center, or public facility. If you are hanging on to your teenager’s baby toys or books, donate them to a family in need.
- Travel: If you have the means, take a “me-trip” to somewhere warm and sunny for a few days. No itineraries, just go, eat, and soak up some sun.
- Be a local tourist: If your city/town has a historical society, check them out and then visit the historical sites! Visit your city’s museum(s), eat at a local restaurant that offers farm-to-table meals.
- Host a get-together: ‘Tis the season of Friendsgivings, cookie-exchanges, and holiday parties. Host one of these events with your close friends. Surround yourself with those who have positive energy!