Margaret H. Oliver
- Separation and Divorce
- Custody & Visitation
- Adoption and Guardianship
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Child Support
- Collaborative Practice
Margaret H. Oliver
After serving as an assistant state’s attorney in Baltimore County, Maryland, and working in a law firm focused on family law, Margaret H. Oliver founded Margaret H. Oliver, LLC. Ms. Oliver focuses her practice on family issues including separation and divorce, child custody/visitation, spousal support, child support, prenuptial agreements, same-sex law, adoption, guardianship and separation agreements. Ms. Oliver represents clients throughout the Baltimore metropolitan area, and in Howard, Baltimore, Carroll and Anne Arundel counties.
Ms. Oliver graduated from The College of Wooster in 1977 with a Bachelor of Music and continued her education at the Eastman School of Music at the University of Rochester where she received her Performer’s Certificate and Master of Music degree. Ms. Oliver started a family of her own and taught music for several years before deciding to pursue a career in the law. In 1997, Ms. Oliver graduated from the University of Baltimore School of Law, magna cum laude with a Juris Doctor degree.
With nearly 25 years in the legal community, Ms. Oliver uses her knowledge and experience to help her clients through the stress that comes with a family matter. Whether she is representing parents or children, her goal is to guide them through what can be a very difficult time. Ms. Oliver works to find a resolution that looks towards the future. Her training in mediation, settlement negotiations and collaborative law, enable her to assist clients in creating resolutions that work for the family as it changes.
As a former prosecutor, Ms. Oliver is aware that sometimes a family matter cannot be peacefully resolved. In such cases, she is ready to pursue her clients’ goals and interests in the courtroom.
Regardless of the path chosen, mediation, collaboration, litigation or negotiation, when Ms. Oliver meets with clients, she listens intently to their concerns and questions with an understanding and sensitivity to their particular needs. Ms. Oliver is always available to answer their questions, explain a process to them, help them understand how the law informs their case or to discuss how certain actions may affect them in the short and long term.
Ms. Oliver participates regularly in seminars and legal forums. She speaks on family law topics to groups around the country. In her free time, Ms. Oliver can be found enjoying time with family, kayaking on the Patapsco River, serving on the Board of Blue Water Baltimore, or continuing her love of music as the Minister of Music at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Woodlawn, MD.
- Maryland Super Lawyers, 2012 – 2023
- Maryland Top 50 Lawyers, 2021
- Conwell R. Sapp Award, 2015
- WBA President’s Award, 2016
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- J.D. – 1997
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Heuisler Honor Society
- Eastman School of Music, University of Rochester, New York
- M.M. – 1978
- College of Wooster, Wooster, Ohio
- B.M. – 1977
- Maryland, 1997
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2006
- Maryland State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Women’s Bar Association, State of Maryland, Past President
- Women’s Bar Association, State of Maryland, Past Treasurer
- Howard County Chapter Women’s Bar Association, Past President
- Collaborative Professionals, Founding Member, 2009 to Present
- International Academy for Collaborative Professionals, Member, 2009 to Present
- Howard County Bar Association, Member, 2010 to Present
- Maryland State Bar Association, Member, 1997 to Present
- Named Super Lawyer for Eleventh Straight Year